Tonight I had the priviledge to give an introduction to social media to the Rotary club in Kungsbacka. The club was founded in November 1946. On my personal blog you will find a summary in Swedish. In short we talked about:
What is social media?
= Global online tool that enables everyday, instantaneous dialogue with one or several thousands of users.
Why go online?
Here, I recommend that you invest about 20 minutes to listen to Simon Sinek “Why”. Once you know why you should be online, why your company should invest and what the purpose is, then the process can continue.
Where is your passion?
Passion drives your brand and fuels the process of creating a ripple effect online. Please feel free to ask us more about this!
Brief descriptions of the various channels:
- Facebook – the world’s greatest dialogue channel, a winning formula is to ask lots of questions and to be honest
- Twitter – a micro-blog (diary) where you have 140 characters to say what you want to say. For example: share links, make an offer, make frequent updates during a specific period of time.
- LinkedIn – professional global business network. Activate all your past business card and put your update all your contacts here as well as your resume in your profile. All recruiters go here and look for contacts, staff, etc. Here you can find active discussion groups within your area of expertise.
- Blog – a diary that is updated frequently and where the readers can leave comments. The world’s best and biggest blog tool is WordPress. Eventually, all sites will be blogs since they are easier and more cost effective to update.
- YouTube – charge the movies you want to spread and show others
- Flickr - here you upload images to share with others
Social media for social good.
Build your brand using social media and link it to social good actions, Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). See the example Dove and Pepsi. On awoque we will talk more on the topic during the spring of 2011. Look out!
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask them in the comment’s field! Be curious, dare to raise the question, focus on why and then action! Good luck!